Thursday, February 23, 2017

Calm Breath, Calm Mind


Life is busy, all the time. It is important to take time away from it all to find peace. However, I need calm in the middle of a Wednesday afternoon just as much, if not more, than a weekend or vacation day. Once I realized this is possible, my entire world changed and my anxiety kept its distance, even on my most busy days.

The secret is breathing.

I know what you’re thinking, “It can’t be that simple.” Oh, but yes, it can.

Calm breath equals calm mind. This has been my mantra for the last few months and it has made all the difference.

Everyone has flaws, mine involve a quick temper and anxiety. The only way I have found to alleviate these feelings is to focus on my breathing and taking a few moments in meditation.

Yoga has helped a lot with this process. At the beginning of each practice, I am reminded to breath in, breath out, let it go and focus on this one moment. That process works on and off my mat. It is easy when I am focused and being led through the motions. However, the method works just as well in my daily life as it does in a studio.

Now when technology frustrates me, people irritate me or writer's block drives me crazy, I just have to remember to stop, breathe in, breathe out, and let the moment flow.

Give it a try...breath in counting slowly to three, now with the same count let it go. Be in this moment. Whatever is in your mind distracting you and causing you anxiety, breath it in and now let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what inspires you. I appreciate feedback to help grow as an artist, I ask only that you stay positive even if being critical. Thank you Writing Companion!