Thursday, March 2, 2017

Eat What Makes You Happy


"Eat what makes you happy" seems like an encouraging, yet dangerous phrase. I have suffered from the habit of "comfort eating" my entire life. As a result, I was also overweight most of my life. It took a move across the country and an extensive lifestyle change to break that habit.

On the other hand, food is a delight and there is no need to deny yourself bites that you enjoy. The trick is self-control, which is hard no matter what you are talking about. Food is on the long list of objects demanding self-discipline.

Our ability to set limits on ourselves opens up all kinds of opportunities. If I can go to the store to look without blowing my budget, it makes shopping a pleasure I can afford to do more often. If I can watch one episode of Once Upon A Time without marathoning the entire season, I will have more chances to look forward to a good show without it cutting into my writing time. Similarly, if I can open a bag of chips and eat just one serving instead of the entire bag, it's not something I really benefit from denying myself once in a while.

So my point is, yes, eat what makes you happy. Have a small handful of chips or that piece of dark, savory chocolate. (My weakness currently is Girl Scout Cookies.) Just remember, a little goes a long way. And at the end of the day, making healthy choices for yourself will make your happy everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what inspires you. I appreciate feedback to help grow as an artist, I ask only that you stay positive even if being critical. Thank you Writing Companion!