Friday, March 3, 2017

Overcoming Cabin Fever


It has been a cold, wet winter here in Seattle and I find when I get cold I tend to hibernate. Like a bear, I eat to gain warmth, I hide away in a cave (or in my case, our new house where the heat is consistently on) and I don't tend to see many people.


This time of year as I impatiently anticipate spring, I begin to notice a crankiness that wasn't there before. I realize, I am not meant to be holed up like this for so long and promptly diagnosed myself with cabin fever.

This ache is sadly perpetual for me as the cold days of February turn into the cold days of March. I think it is generally common for many during this time of year, especially who live in cold weather climates. From experience, I know if not treated with interaction and exercise, it will manifest into depression.


I am trying to overcome this before it takes root. For me the answer is to not miss my yoga class, no matter how much I just want to stay in where it is warm. I also go out of my way to invite friends out for coffee or lunch so I spend time with people who inspire me. And I write, a lot.

So I appreciate you reading my ramblings because I know I’m not alone in the dealing with the melancholy of winter. Instead of turning inward this year, I want to reach out and connect with others. This is a start. What do you do to overcome the cold and isolation that winter brings?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what inspires you. I appreciate feedback to help grow as an artist, I ask only that you stay positive even if being critical. Thank you Writing Companion!